This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Patient Records & Sharing

Summary Care Record

There is a new Central NHS Computer System called the Summary Care Record (SCR). It is an electronic record which contains information about the medicines you take, allergies you suffer from and any bad reactions to medicines you have had.

Storing information in one place makes it easier for healthcare staff to treat you in an emergency, or when your GP practice is closed. This information could make a difference to how a doctor decides to care for you, for example which medicines they choose to prescribe for you. Only healthcare staff involved in your care can see your Summary Care Record. Over half of the population of England now have a Summary Care Record. You can find out whether Summary Care Records have come to your area by looking at our interactive map or by asking your GP.

It is not compulsory. If you choose to opt out of the scheme, then you will need to complete a form and bring it along to the surgery. You can use the form at the foot of this page.

For further information visit the NHS Care Records Website or the HSCIC Website.

Information Sharing

There is a new system in place that allows us to share your information with other healthcare providers so that you offered a more consistent experience. The service that will have access to your records range from Hospitals to Hospices. If you have any concerns then please read the FAQs below.

Sharing Out - This controls whether your information recorded at this practice or service can be shared with other healthcare providers.

Sharing In - This determines whether or not this practice or service can view information in your record that has been entered by other services who are providing care for you, or may provide care for you in the future.

Imagine you're receiving care from three services. Your GP, District Nurses and a Smoking clinic. You want your GP and District Nurse to share information with each other and you want both of them to know your progress at the smoking clinic. However, you don't want the smoking clinic to see any of your other medical information. Your sharing choices at each practice or service should be;

  • The GP can share information in and out.
  • The District Nurse can share in and out.
  • The Smoking clinic can only share information out but not in.

You can change these choices at any time. Let each practice or service know.

Did you know? You can request individual entries in your record to be marked as 'private'. These are not shared with the rest of your record even if you choose to share out. 

Data Sharing FAQs

Consent Leaflet

The Care.Data Programme

The Care.Data programme was established by NHS England and the Health and Social Care Information Centre to securely bring together health and social care information from different healthcare settings, such as GP practices, hospitals and care homes, in order to see what’s working really well in the NHS - and what we could be doing better. You can visit the NHS England site to find out more.

How do I access my medical records?

You have a legal right to apply for access to your medical records. You do not need to give a reason. A request for your medical records should be made directly with the healthcare provider that provided the treatment, such as your GP surgery, a hospital, an optician or your dentist. This is known as a Subject Access Request (SAR), as set out by the Data Protection Act of 1998. Please visit for more information.

Westbury Group Practice have a SAR form that you can complete and return by email or by post.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website